9.11.04

On the Fringe

I'm living on the fringe today. It's been a day of preparing, thinking, and eventually doing, but somehow it feels as if I'm not really in or part of the day. My surroundings feel distant and unreal, flat and two-dimensional. My body has been placed onto the surroundings of the day, but not in them. It's like those colorforms that we played with as kids. You place the plasticy, sticky figures onto the shiny, cardboardy background and create a scene. I'm the plasticy figure sticking to the background, just stuck there, with no way of really moving. There's me on one side and the world on the other, and they're at odds with each other.
I can't really figure out how this happens. It's a bright, sunny day, I'm getting along well with Zach, and I'm sleeping well, eating well, and getting plenty of fresh air. I start to wonder if I'm brooding too much, and, after a few more hours of brooding, I conclude that I am.
Okay. So now that's been established.
Thinking about this coming winter and what I'm going to do once my teaching position ends is frightening. I love fall and winter, but they are typically times when I feel most depressed, and I certainly don't want to have nothing to do come January. It's hard not to think that these feelings will last forever, and when I do talk about them I feel like a whiny baby. I'm really scared of what could happen. Could something like what happened last winter (the debilitating depression, self harm and thoughts of/plans for suicide) happen ever again? The effects from that time are still lingering, and I'm afraid that even if I did feel 100% better, that I could get sideswiped by it all again. What would be worse, being sideswiped or living in a heightened state of anxiety? I don't know right now. Right now it feels like I have no other viable option. So I'm living on the fringe, worrying about it, and trying to make sense of it all. Maybe it will never make sense.

4 comments:

nancy said...

you can do what michael does
and bury yourself in self promoting projects
write your thesis, apply for jobs all over the country, etc.
or you could do what I do, obsessively clean the house, drink a bottle of wine, eat a can of pringles and put of the important stuff for tomorrow

Anonymous said...

I like your advice, both parts of it. I have no doubt that I will find things to do. I think the fear has more to do with my ability to actually do those things, whatever they may be. I fear the "nothing matters anymore so why bother?" attitude. Of course I never completely succumbed to that, but it was there. I'm aware of it, and that's a start. I'm just not quite sure where the line is that I unknowingly crossed over last time. That's the part that's driving me crazy. Who was that person, and where did she go? I'm obssessed with this, and I don't want to be.

nancy said...

thats some fucked up shit
what can we do to get you out of your head?
stuff you like a thanksgiving turkey with friends and games and activities :)

Anonymous said...

I'm overanalyzing EVERYTHING right now, and don't know what to say. My mom did buy me a cool shirt and skirt at Old Navy yesterday, though, for only $15.00. That made me happy.