29.7.08

Hindu Wedding


A little over a week ago we attended a Hindu wedding in northern New Jersey. My friend Liz married a man whose family is originally from India. They had a Christian wedding over a year ago, and then his family threw a Hindu wedding for them. I felt honored to be a bridesmaid in both of her weddings. Hindu weddings traditionally don't have bridesmaids, but Liz's mother-in-law suggested we all take part in this wedding as well. I wish I could elaborate on the ceremony, but since I was chasing Luke around most of the night, I really can't because I'm not sure what happened.

The ceremony took place while people were milling about and eating appetizers. This was great because I could 1) eat and 2) not worry about keeping Luke really quiet while during the ceremony. Everything was beautiful and the food was phenomenal, although a little too spicy for Luke. I walked next door to an Indian market dressed in my sari with Luke. I definitely elicited some intriguing stares as a caucasian woman dressed in fancy, traditional Indian clothing. One woman stopped me to ask if I knew how to tie the sari. Apparently she was impressed with the job that Liz's mother-in-law did. I told her I didn't, and that I was at a wedding next door and looking for something my son could eat. She smiled and pointed toward some biscuits that her son likes. I bought them, along with an orange and some yellow raisins, and walked back to the wedding. Dinner wasn't to be served until 9 p.m. Around 8:30 I tied Luke to my back in a wrap where he slept until we left around 10:00. We had a great, mini-family vacation. Luke's favorite part of the whole trip was the hotel room, where he got to play with the phone and bounce on the bed. We're going camping for a night this weekend on our way down to PA to visit family. I hope Luke likes camping.

1 comment:

nancy said...

sounds fun. I love your sari!
on the previous post,
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.