8.9.04

Creeping Anxiety

Last week went wonderfully well, better than I could have ever imagined. I was teaching again, standing in front of a roomful of students, and I felt confident, competent, and, well, smart. I don't know what happened between last Friday and this Monday. All of a sudden it was gone. All the confidence and the spark and the adrenaline flow that I get while standing in front of the students just disappeared. I know that nothing has changed in my ability between now and then, but, none-the-less, everything has become drab. It just all seems like part of a never-ending routine. I keep telling myself that I can do this. I can face the students and appear like a teacher should, but I don't want to.
As Zach drives us to work early in the morning, I think back to the time I was four, and my grandfather would drive me to preschool every other day. I would sit in the passenger seat with the seatbelt cutting into my neck. He would try to make light of the situation by singing songs like "Overhill overdale we will heat the dusty trail", and as we got closer and closer, my hands would clench next to me on the seat. As we walked down the steps of the church basement, I would grab his hand and hope that he wouldn't leave me this time. I feel the same way now as I did then. Like I'm being led into a tank of sharks, except this time it's my husband, not my grandfather, leading me.
I don't think it would matter who was leading me or what kind of job I had. I think this overwhelming dread would be there no matter what. I've tried countless ways to lessen the anxiety, from changing eating habits, exercising, studying hard or not at all, keeping busy, giving myself free time, yoga, different medications, therapy and some other not-so-healthy coping mechanisms. This past year I've uncovered a lot about myself and some of the causes for this anxiety. I know about it and that it doesn't last forever, but it keeps coming back. So, I just hold my breath until it passes, which it will. But is my husband supposed to hold his, too?

No comments: