A few days ago I was sitting in the parklet near town, reading the newspapers, soaking up the warm September sun, and just feeling content. Not only was it enjoyable to sit there in the sun, but I also got some excellent entertainment. Two "boys", they could have been anywhere from 16 to 22 years old, dropped their sweatshirts and backpacks on a bench, raucously called out to a female, presumably a friend, and commenced the chase.
The squirrel chase, that is.
The two of them, the female remained standing near a tree, smiling nervously, tried to sneak attack the squirrel. One stayed put, and the other boy tiptoed behind it, and then yelled "GO!". The squirrel started running frantically in circles and up and down trees. It exhibited the same neurotic behavior that you see when a squirrel is in the middle of the road and a car is coming. I wonder if squirrels possess some kind of obsessive-compulsive traits. The squirrel must be like "Oh no, a car! Wait........wait........wait...RUN...left-right...left-right...one circle counterclockwise and then a flying leap to the sidewalk and up the nearest tree". If he times it just right, he'll win. If not, the car wins. (But we all know that squirrels aren't worth too many points in the driving game.)
So, the boys are chasing this squirrel, but, for all they know, it's really 10 different squirrels, and seem to be having the time of their lives. I thought about coming to the squirrel's rescue, but then it occurred to me that the squirrel was faster and smarter than the two boys put together. Not only that, but the squirrel seemed to be enjoying the game as much as the boys were. 10 minutes later, the two boys and the girl were walking dejectedly back to the bench where they had dropped their stuff. I heard one say "there are too many squirrels around here, anyway. I don't see what the big deal is". When I looked back from where they were walking, I saw a woman sitting at a table with a cup of coffee and a cigarette.
She seemed to be enjoying herself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
like the guy jogging after the seagull.
hey I can't wait to write a post about the rocks in the bathing suits. that made me laugh so hard I could barely stay standing.
Post a Comment