As is typical for any couple, my husband and I have extremely different shopping styles. We went to the local mall last night looking for a pair of boots for me. I've been wanting (and needing) a pair for well over a year now, and I've been looking periodically the past few weeks. There was a neat pair of boots in a specialty store downtown, but they were $90.00. I just couldn't bring myself to shell out that much money for a pair of shoes that were neat, but not spectacular. I had been eyeing a pair in The Shoe Department that I really liked and had first spotted last winter. They were priced at $64.00. I wasn't sure I wanted to pay that much either, but that was before I had seen the $90.00 pair and before my husband pointed out a ridiculously expensive pair of men's boots in a catalogue for $290.00! Once a shoe hits the $100.00 mark, I really can't see how the quality could vastly improve to make a pair of shoes $190.00 more. But I wouldn't really know, because I've never owned a pair of shoes worth more than 70 bucks. So anyway, last night we went shoe hunting again, and I spotted the same $64.00 pair of boots I had liked last winter and the same ones I liked last month. I decided to try them on. As I was walking around the store with the boots on, I was drawn to another nice looking pair of boots. When I picked them up, I realized they were the same pair I was already trying on, the same ones I liked last month, and the same ones I liked last winter. I decided to buy them. Right then and there. Just like that. I knew that I liked them. My husband was appalled. "Are you sure?" he asked. "I'm sure they'll still be there tomorrow. We could look around some more". I said "why? I know what I like." And I could also sense that he didn't like them. But that was all the more reason for me to buy them. He said something about being stubborn, and I carried them to the register and paid for them. I'm satisfied with my purchase.
As for my husband?-he is on the computer now looking at LLBean again, searching for any sale items. When he finds something he likes, he'll ask me my opinion about the item. He'll ask me what color looks nice. He'll ask me what I think about the price and the quality of the fabric. Then he'll place it in the virtual shopping cart. When he gets through typing in all of the mailing and billing information, he'll inevitably delete the item. The next day he'll do the same thing. It could take weeks before he actually decides to purchase the item he's been wanting. Once he gets it in the mail, he'll try it on, and, again, ask me what I think about it. It takes about another week before he warms up to the item and decides that it was a good purchase. So I'm sure my "spontaneous" purchasing of the boots irritated him just as much as his calculated deliberations do me.
I have to admit that he gets some damn good deals, though!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment