13.12.05

Each Day

I catch myself in a quick moment of peaceful mindfulness early in the morning on my way to work. I usually wake up in a frenzy, a little too late and a little too tired, and run out the door forgoing a shower or a decent breakfast. My ride to school is only 7 miles, and it takes me about 14 minutes to get there. As I round a bend a little over halfway there, a mountain ridge appears. It's not big, but it's serene and beautiful. The sun rises behind it, so the clouds are a soft pink and orange while the sky is slate gray. Snow covers the mountain, and some lights from the houses twinkle down its sides. It reminds me of the moment I entered the Fjord of Oslo by boat early one December morning 5 years ago. It is that small, fleeting moment that helps make the rest of the day okay.

3 comments:

nancy said...

I totally get that. I too am chronically late and therefore dishelved, but when I pass over the bridge back into Ohio it can be really beautiful especially in the fog.

Gwatt said...

you guys are lucky the only thing i see on my way to "work" is Villanova. I have to come see state college it sounds so peaceful. Plus the ice cream is good! I can't believe i was afraid of teddy ruxpin...i love it. he is kind of creepy i suppose.

Deborah said...

I think I need to follow your lead and find something beautiful (including my children) to appreciate at the start of my day. Most of the time I am worrying about remembering everything, getting people dressed, things together, dinner prepared that I forget to take a moment. Thanks for the reminder!!