27.7.06

7:30 Thursday Night

This past week has marked the beginning of morning sickness. I haven't actually vomited, but I feel nauseous nearly ALL DAY LOOOONG. This morning was the worst. I laid down on the grass at work and finally went to my car to take an hour-long nap, but not before calling the advice nurse in desparation for some advice and relief. In short, there is none. She suggested doing what I have been doing-sipping ginger ale, eating crackers and other bland foods, and eating small, frequent meals to avoid a dip in my blood sugar and headaches. I felt remarkably better by noon, and even ate the chicken noodle soup one of the girls at work bought for me. It is hard to eat, but when I do, it's foods I don't normally eat-french fries, grilled cheese, beef vegetable soup, and pizza. I haven't had a piece of fruit in over a week, and normally I'm the 2-a-day girl along with 3 servings of vegetables and the "right" amounts of every other food group. My diet is turned on its head. I walked throught the grocery store tonight with Zach looking at foods and determing what I might want to eat in the next few days by my gag reflex. If I could look at it and didn't feel like wretching, then I might be able to eat it. That list included: chicken and beef soups, black beans, canned sweet potatoes, cream of wheat, and fruit popsicles. Sometimes I can also tolerate cheese. It's nearing my bedtime, which is at about 8:00 now, so I need to shower and get ready for tomorrow. More to come soon...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely understand. I had morning sickness both my pregnancies - four months with Cecilia and almost six with Sophia. For Cecilia I found that peppermints really helped. For Sophia the only thing that made me feel moderately better was salt bagels (I don't know why). I was eating three salt bagels a day because I couldn't handle anything else. Just remember it will pass.

nancy said...

yum fruit popsicles count as a fruit.
From other girlfriends I have heard the following: eat all the time because an empty stomach is the worst, so even if you have to just have little nibbles of saltine it will still feel better, and from general non traditional medicine advice I say peppermints (like Deborah said), ginger candies, and applesauce.