I always think I need to have something really interesting to say in order to post, but that may never happen. I also have limited blog time, which occurs when Luke is napping and I have already gotten ready for the day. I noticed that Nancy has been posting daily, and others, too, through the month of November. It's a great idea, and, though I won't be posting daily, it's inspired me to post now. I am still at a loss for what to write about, but I figure if I just keep punching away at the keys, something will come to mind.
* * * * * * *
I'm reading a book that was recommended to me by the proprietress of a store in Salem called "Crunchy Granola Babies". You can probably garner what kind of products are sold in the store. The book is called "Our Babies, Ourselves How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent" written by Meredith Small. It was published almost 10 years ago, and I don't know how I haven't come upon this book before now. It's a fascinating book with some snippets of childrearing in different cultures and how infants are hardwired to act in a way that's evolved over time and that really does make sense. I can't even begin to do this book justice here, especially because I haven't finished it yet. I can say that it's made me think more than usual about the way we do things as parents and how there might be alternatives to the usual and accepted ways. There are chapters on infant sleep, feeding, and crying, and I've already read ahead to the part on sleep. Pediatricians, parents, grandparents and sleep experts in the US all have very pointed ideas on how and where babies should sleep. The only thing I want to say is that a lot of it is based on fad and tradition, and that parents and babies need to listen to each other, not all the Dr. Spocks of the world.
Naptime is over, and so is my blogtime.
Until next time...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi! I love that you are posting. Keep it up. I may be the only one interested in the mundanities, but I am interested. And I miss you guys!
Post a Comment