4.9.04

Who is listening?

A friend just sent me this website address to check out. I did, and it made my blood boil. http://members.cox.net/classicweb/Heroes/heroes.htm
I don't mind the graphic pictures from the Twin Towers burning on 9/11. What I mind is the agenda of whoever created this site, which is basically the same message the president sends daily, and that is, "if you don't agree with me, then you're a traitor, unpatriotic and a "girly man"." I resent being told that if I disagree with the president, then I'm in support of terrorism. In opposition to what Cox Enterprises, the creators of this site, claims, there is never a time when even peace-loving people have to fight. I believe that it is dishonorable to use the victims from 9/11 as leverage to go to war with a country which, as Dick Cheyney himself said, most likely had nothing to do with 9/11. It is not acceptable to enter a war with no vision for the future of the country being invaded or for the troops who are there, and especially not if there was no immediate threat to any other country. As the website affirms, we need to protect the Americn way of life. But does that mean we need to do it at the cost of thousands of lives, American included? And does that mean that we have the authority to behave and act no better than the terrorists themselves? I want to say that the American people are not the only people on this planet deemed worthy of protecting. The threat of terrorism has always been there and will probably always be there. The planet is no more dangerous or safe than it was 5, 10, 50 or hundreds of years ago. Terrorism is not new. Terrorism cannot be destroyed. Some politicians would have us believe that there is always an enemy that we need to fight, and, because the world is not a safe place, we need their protection. What we need is a leader who listens; to his people, to his allies, his friends, and, most importantly, his "enemies".
I am voting in the upcoming election because I support and believe in American ideals and values. This is my country, too, and I want to feel pride in saying that again.